Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mrs. Schloss goes to Washington

I've wanted to visit Washington D.C. forever. It's one of the few places/states that has managed to elude my travel itineraries up until now. So even though we really can't afford it, my sweet hubby convinced me to take my oxygen on the road (or to the skies) and feed my inner history buff. Plus we are also celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary--who knew he could put up with me and my shenanigans for that long.

Well, I am a tad nervous about the whole traveling-long-distances with O2 thing and making the connections on the other end. However, everything I had heard or read said that with a little bit of forethought and planning you can travel just about anywhere. So over a month ago we contacted our O2 supplier so they could get things set up on the Washington D.C. end. Thought all our bases were covered...wrong!

I just got a call today from the oxygen company (name withheld to protect the guilty) who informed me that there would be no O2 waiting for me on the other side of the continent. What??? They picked two days before supposed trip to inform me their company has no suppliers in the area. That is not acceptable. I frantically called several places in the D.C./Virginia area myself and sure enough, you must be their patient for them to help you out. Argh.

So what do I do? First I try to be assertive--which usually ends up with me trying so hard not to cry...and failing miserably. Don't know why when I get a strong emotion of any kind, good or bad, crying is the result. Next I see if switching to another company is within the realm of possibilities. So then it's more phone calls to the new place and messages left with the CF team (today is clinic day so no one is available) to get a new rx for the transferred service. By now it's after 5 p.m. so all the questions must wait till tomorrow to get answered.

Now my thought processes are: maybe I will be able to navigate through D.C. with no oxygen since it is 5,000 ft. lower than my Rocky Mountain home--but who wants to take the chance and spoil a great vacation if my lungs don't embrace the humid, thicker air; or maybe I can hold my breath for ten days while simultaneously walking miles and miles all over The Mall--but since my breath holding skills leave much to be desired, I don't think that is a great option; or corporate America will realize the folly of their ways and work together to make Mrs. Schloss' trip to Washington a success. My vote goes to the later--now work with me people. :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww Sherri, I hope they get your O2 woes figured out. It is a hassle having to need "extra" air when we go places, for sure! Good Luck and I hope you have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete