Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just one of those days...

Last week I coughed a couple of ribs out and it has been so uncomfortable.  I had to take 3 ibuprofen just to be able to lie down and sleep. I rarely even take one so for me this was giving it the "big guns."  Then after two chiropractor visits a couple of days apart, I finally felt like there was hope that it was calming down.  Well, that was until last night when I had coughing fits throughout the night...now I'm back on the ibuprofen again.  Still if I do anything as strenuous as unloading the dishwasher (gasp) my whole back goes into spasms, then it's back to the couch with my heated corn pillow.

So this morning I was doing my treatments and coughing stupid trying to protect my tender side.  I guess it was more stupid than I thought because I made my nose bleed.   So I'm coughing hunched over to the side with blood on my pj's, my nose stuffed with kleenex, and the pari-jet and O2 cannula in my mouth at the same time trying to stop the spasms and still get enough air.  Crazy!

After my shower and just before noon, I noticed that my twitchy cough was now giving me blood streaks.  Oh joy.  I was supposed to meet an old college room mate for lunch.  I contemplated calling and cancelling but since she only gets to visit once in awhile I really wanted to make it work.  So I said a little prayer and off I went to meet her at Red Robin.  We had a nice lunch together and my little lungs cooperated until almost at the end, then the twitching cough commenced...again.

When I got home, I decided to do another albuterol treatment to try and calm things down.  I was halfway through when a crazy hard cough came out of nowhere and wouldn't you know it, I threw up...all over my keyboard. Eewww! As the slime is oozing its way through the keys to join the dust bunnies and crumbs which are invariably lurking down there, I'm grabbing for kleenexes and thinking my husband is not going to be too happy to hear about his next honey-do project!  I had just got everything cleaned up and under control when the same thing happened again...missing the keyboard thankfully but hitting the floor instead.  Eeww X's 2!

Now I'm doing my evening treatment and the hacking and twitching is again out of control. And my streaky friend is back.  I'm so hot and sweaty I turned on my desk fan to cool off--all this coughing turns up my inner thermostat to "sweat like bullets" levels.  And of course this day wouldn't be complete until, you guessed it, I threw up again while typing this post.  Eeww X's 3!  (Thank goodness for a desk chair pad that has also been on the losing end of my day.)

I just decided to finish up with an additional albuterol treatment because at this rate, there will be no lying down in my near future if the twitchy lungs don't call a truce.  I'm sure my bed is thinking,  "stop the madness--don't make me your next eeww X's four victim."  Can't say as I blame it.  My track record hasn't been too stellar today.   Pleeze stop the wheeze!  It's just been one of those days.

3 comments:

  1. Eewww!!! remind me not to use your computer! Hope "Mr twitch" gets lost and you don't have a stomach bug on top of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, Wow. It's hard to have an injury like that and have to cough for a living. I hope you feel better. That blood from your nose and the streaks are probably due to the motrin thinning your blood? I used to take it and love it, but now it makes me bleed. I miss it so.

    Feel better.

    UC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to cough so hard id get nose bleeds, I remember throwing up a few times, just of your diaphragm over working on the cough pushes stuff out of the stomach. Sounds like you may have a infection starting :( should get it checked out before it gets worse, better safe the sorry :)

    ReplyDelete